Sunday, April 26, 2009

Southern Iraq

I don't want to say too much because we are not done with our mission
yet, but for the first time since we have been here I got a chance to
go to southern Iraq. It was quite a trip. We did most of the travel
south of Baghdad during the daytime and I got to see the countryside.
It is a lot different than what I think most people imagine. There
were the occasional stretches of desert that were beautiful and
strange in their own way, but most of the scenery consisted of marshes
and lush farmland. The area between the rivers here is very fertile
and wet. We got to see lots of camels and goats. We got to see lots
of oil exploration equipment too. The base where we stayed was around
the archeological site of the ancient city of Ur. This is supposed to
be the same city where Abraham was born and were he was supposed to be
sacrificed to idol gods. In the middle of the site there is one of
the most preserved examples in the world of an ancient ziggurat. It
is quite likely the site of Abraham's attempted sacrifice. It was
amazing to be able to see it. I think I am the only one in the group
that knew what it's significance was though. It's a shame that this
part of the world is so inhospitable and violent. There is a lot of
special stuff to see over here.

It was a long trip, and one that I will have to make more often. For
now I am just glad to have a couple of days to rest before I have to
do anything like it again.

3 comments:

Sherry said...

What an opportunity--to see Abraham's homeland. Isn't it amazing that even though you're over there in a war, the Lord is merciful and kind and allows you an experience like that....Thanks for sharing.

Michael said...

The ziggurat at Ur is simply an amazing piece of history. I'm terribly geographically impaired and I had no idea you would be around there. Were you able to get any pictures, or will you be able to in the future? I know you're not a tourist, but to be able to get a photograph first hand of such an important place is literally a once (or maybe twice or three times) in a lifetime opportunity.

Jenny said...

It's so true. I feel the same way about Israel--I'd love to go but I'd rather not be in the midst of all the craziness.