Saturday, April 18, 2009

Back at Home??

I finally made it back to my little old room in Iraq.  It was a terribly long trip to get back here.  We were held up for a couple of days in Kuwait waiting for available space on a flight back to Baghdad and then in once there had to wait another day for available space on a helicopter back to Taji.  The trip going home was long too, but then it seemed worth it because you were going home.  Coming back just didn't seem like it was worth all the trouble.  The helicopter ride was fun though.  I think the pilot was showing off though as he did some interesting acrobatics.  When we got on the ground I told the guy next to me that things like that are the reason riding roller coasters at Six Flags just don't do anything for me anymore.  Real life thrills are much better!

We are getting ready for our first mission since returning.  That means getting our weapons back and getting ammo; checking the truck out and catching up on all the things that we missed. It's amazing how fast it has taken for all this to seem normal again.  I'm right back into the swing of things.  At least this time it is the last time I will have to make this trip.  It's all downhill from now on.

3 comments:

Sherry said...

Glad to know you made it back safely. We sure enjoyed seeing you while you were here and look forward to your return.

The boys were really cute in their PTA program on Thursday. Julie videoed it, so I'm sure you'll see them, too. I was really proud of them both.

Jenni said...

Glad you're back "home" safely.

Michael said...

It's great you get to come home from a gig like that. But I'm real glad there wasn't an option to come home halfway through my mission - I'm not sure I would have returned!