Saturday, March 21, 2009

Done with Another Long Mission

I am done with the downtown Baghdad mission, but it was a long one.  On our second trip down there they closed down the return route and redirected us to the base at Baghdad International Airport.  We were a little upset, but really didn't have a choice.  Most of us were not prepared to stay the night because we were driving borrowed trucks and hadn't taken the time to load them with all our extra gear.  We got stuck there for three days because the weather went bad on us!  I had to buy shaving gear, a blanket and some extra socks!  I also forgot to bring my phone card so I had to buy one of those so I could call Julie and let here know why I wasn't getting a hold of her.  We got to sleep on nice comfy cots (I'm being sarcastic if you couldn't tell) and wait in our trucks all night waiting to see if the weather would clear enough to roll.  We finally had to get special permission to come home.  We missed a trip back to downtown and I think they didn't want to delay the mission any more.  We were all happy to get back home to sleep in our beds with sheets and pillows.  Well, they extended the mission to make up for the lost trip so we didn't finish until just a couple of days ago.  We were supposed to go out again last night, but they canceled the final trip.  We just had to clean our trucks out and get them and our weapons ready to turn in.  Now we are just sitting here waiting to go on leave.  It's nice to have a few extra days off.  It doesn't help my anxiety at going home though because all I have to do is sit around thinking about it... nothing to keep me busy or distracted.  I can't wait to go home!

1 comment:

Michael said...

I'm guessing "weather went bad on us" means sandstorm or something and probably not a rainstorm or tornado or anything we're used to here? It was nice of them to sell you some hygiene basics (my turn for sarcasm). I'm sure the sitting around, waiting until Wednesday is a pain, but it will be good to see you here again. Take care.