Saturday, March 7, 2009

Back to Baghdad

I just got back from another trip to Baghdad.  I hadn't been down there in a long time, more than a month, and I was surprised at how much had changed.  I think I mentioned before about some road construction on the route down there.  Well, now there are stripes painted on the road and reflectors and everything.  Those are the first strips I have seen on any road in Iraq!  There is construction everywhere and new lights and buildings.  It looks like the pace of reconstruction is really picking up.  I will go home on leave at the end of the month and be gone for three weeks.  I'm sure a lot more will change by the time I get back from that.  I think that I will only have to go out a couple more times before I get my break.  I will have a lot of time to kill if that is the case because it is still three weeks away.  

2 comments:

Lena said...

I hope it is an uneventful 3 weeks! I'm gad you keep up with this bog. Peter and enjoy reading it. We aren't big on commenting but we're here supporting you and I think Peter wishes (a little bit) that he could be right there too.

Michael said...

Are the Iraqis doing their own construction? Or is the place getting flooded with other foreigners getting involved? It sounds like a prime opportunity for latter-day WPA program...