Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Truck Smell


Well, they finally gave us our new truck today!  I am really excited about it.  It still needs a lot of work to be ready to roll out of the gate like adding spotlights all over it and all of the radio and electronic jamming equipment, but we have been working hard to get maintenance and commo (communication section) to get on with the work.  We have three or four more days before our next mission and we want it ready by then.  We have been rolling in an older truck that doesn't have all of the armor on it that the new trucks have.  In fact the older truck is just like the one I drive back in Ft Worth except with some metal plates welded to it.  The new truck is one of those huge MRAPs.  It weighs 25 tons and has room for seven people.  We only have three so there is a lot of extra space for our gear and for snacks.  It's like a big SUV!  It is nice to be able to break in a new truck.  We got to open all the boxes full of tools and extra equipment that comes with the truck and it even has that new car smell.  We get to tell maintenance how we want everything set up.  We get to load our gear in it like we want it and get to keep it that way.  It will be nice not having to borrow other peoples' trucks when we go on missions to places too dangerous for our previous truck.  I just hope that we get it ready in time for our next mission.  Now I just have to figure out how to plug up my iPod to the new system so we can have some entertainment on the road.  

4 comments:

Michael said...

A big SUV. Uh huh. Just don't find a mountain to roll this one down, okay? And just so us novices know, what the heck is an MRAP? I'm guessing it has nothing to do with Flavor Flav, Snoop Dog, or Coolio.

It's good to have something like this to occupy your down time as well as well as the sense of ownership. Your gun I suppose is now really your gun. And there's the pride of maintaining it and keeping it just the way you want. Just don't frag the first guy that "keys" it!

So, if there are only three guys, does the truck commander run the radios and ECM stuff? I would have assumed there was a separate radio guy, but what do I know? Have fun with the new gear, but stay safe.

I think I'm the only one here that hasn't gotten sick. I don't know if Sherry started it, but she's had it and so have Julie and the boys. They graciously shared it with Kara now. I'm trying to stay away from all of them. I still contend that a motorcycle builds your immune system. but I haven't ridden in a couple of weeks, so I may be falling behind. but I've got a fresh oil change now and I think the freezing rain is done. There is actual sunshine outside right now. Take care.

Michael said...

Okay, I swear that truck picture wasn't there when I read this the first time. Is this what your truck looks like? The gunner isn't quite as exposed as I had imagined. It looks pretty cool.

Sherry said...

Wow! Looks really cool....Maybe you can take some pictures of the inside for us (of course only if that won't compromise security or confidentiality...)

Jenni said...

Pretty slick new wheels. I'm glad that they finally gave you something to do to keep your mind & hands busy.