Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Boredom

Well, we got our new truck ready in time.  It meant missed sleep and a missed opportunity for me to go to church, but it got finished.  We went on out mission, but it was only a one day mission so I haven't done anything since.  One thing to note was that we were the lead truck this time for some reason.  It went ok, but I don't like it as much as being number two.  Now we have just been sitting around waiting for our next mission which isn't for a couple more days.  The newness of this place is wearing off and I am really bored.  It's easy to get home sick and depressed when all you do is sit around.  There is not much to do, and it is cold outside so no one wants to go anywhere.  It's hard to relax though because I don't live with quiet people.  It's been hard, and getting harder.  I have to listen to vulgar rap music or loud talking or peoples' tvs or movies.  It wears you down after a while.  It gets to you.  Time is going by fast, but not fast enough if you ask me.

8 comments:

Sherry said...

I'd always heard that the army was a hurry-up-and-wait kind of organization. Sounds like you're there......I'm currently reading a good book about WW2 and I think a lot of those guys could definitely relate to your situation. The book is by Jeff Shaara and is the second in a series. I'm learning a lot....I hope you can find some interesting things to do to keep busy.

Jenni said...

Maybe we can find you some really good noise cancelling headphones and some audio books or something.

Josh Grimmett said...

I have some nice headphones, just not noise canceling ones! They are too expensive!.

Tricia said...

Long time, no see.

So you're out in the sandbox now.
My brother, Sjon, was there for a year back when this entire thing started (2003). My husband spent 9 of the last 12 months in Kuwait. My brother-in-law is in Afghanistan now. We LOVE the sandbox in our family. (sarcasm)

I was surprised when Sherry said you were out there. We'll keep you and Julie in our prayers.

Tricia von Bose Allen

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael said...

Good deal on the new truck! No boredom here. Everything is all a' titter with preparation for inaugural parties and such. Ah, the festive and gay atmosphere which prevails! The bunting! The streamers! The flags! And the food! Nothing better. The holidays were no comparison to the smells emanating from the kitchen in honor of this festive event.

Okay, I'm kidding. Change is great. But I'm dressing in black inauguration day. Oh, wait. I dress in black every day. Slimming, my eye.

Sounds like you need some power amps to crank up the MoTab tunes. Gotta rep the hood, bro.

Michael said...

Ahem. I hope you don't mind, but I included all your 2008 blog entries into the ward history. Maybe I shoulda asked first, but the words themselves seemed to invite me to do it. Here's an excerpt:

"Although not instructed to do so this time, I wanted to learn from my past experience and keep a journal of my thoughts, feelings and observations. A lot has changed in the last 10 years however, and a blank book just doesn't seem sufficient anymore. I decided that the best way to keep my war journal was to follow the example of countless soldiers who are serving in Iraq now and keep a blog."

"I hope that anyone who stumbles across this finds it at least interesting."

Now it will be scanned, stored electronically, and archived forever in Granite Mountain. You are now immortal.

Michael said...

Oops, Happy Birthday by the way....