Friday, January 30, 2009

Cpt Moroni

Before every mission I sit in the back of my truck and prepare myself to go outside the gate into.  In addition to other things I put my body armor on, my helmet, gloves and headphones.  I am always reminded of how it must have been anciently when soldiers donned their armor before going into battle.  It's at this time that I usually read something out of the scriptures and offer a prayer to ask for protection and success.  I have discovered many scriptures that all of a sudden mean a lot more to me now than before, especially  in the Book of Mormon.  The people of Nephi fought many wars and the reason they fought is clearly expressed in the scriptures.  When Captain Moroni and his Nephite army fought Zarahemna and his army of Lamanites we read, in the clarity and beauty which the Book of Mormon gives us, why the Nephites fought so hard even in the face of overwhelming opposition; 
"...the Nephites were inspired by a better cause, for they were not fighting for monarchy nor power but they were fighting for their homes and their liberties, their wives and their children, and their all, yea, for their rites of worship and their church.  And they were doing that which they felt was the duty which they owed to their God; for the Lord had said unto them, and also unto their father, that: Inasmuch as ye are not guilty of the first offense, neither the second, ye shall not suffer yourselves to be slain by the hands of your enemies.  And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed.  Therefore for this cause were the Nephites contending with the Laminites, to defend themselves, and their families, and their lands, their country, and their rights, and their religion."
Alma 43:45-47

6 comments:

Sherry said...

Captain Moroni is my favorite person in the Book of Mormon--maybe because he was so strong and faithful in defending the people. I like the truths that we don't start fights, but when attacked, we defend ourselves with great courage and faith. I'm thankful for you and all the others who serve our country and defend us today.

Michael said...

That's exactly what I had in mind when I bought about 60 guns last year. I gave half a dozen away, but it still left a sufficient number to defend the ol' domicile. And I told Sherry not to worry unless I (a) build a cinder block wall around the property, or (b), start referring to the place as "the compound".

Lynn said...

Josh, on Thursday's morning commute into BigD, the woman who sat next to me was (A) in the Army and (B) a new knitter. Thought you'd get a grin out of that.

[I love Captain Moroni, too. I suspect the line of women who want to marry him when they grow up, is a very long one. Competence and humility are lovely qualities in a human being.]

Adam Wynne said...

Josh, It is good to see you are doing well. Thanks for your service for our country! Be safe!

Josh Grimmett said...

Remember, guns are cool, but killing people isn't. No matter how much bravado one might show. Every night I man a .50 cal machine gun and I know the only reason I have it is to kill. The thought is sobering.

Jenni said...

I am sorry that it is so hard to be over there and again, so grateful you are willing to make the sacrifice.