Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Beginning

My name is Josh, at least for now.  In a few weeks I will be known as SPC Grimmett, and that will be my name for the next year or so.  I am in the Texas National Guard and am scheduled to be sent to Iraq sometime in the late summer or early fall.  

When I was 19 I volunteered to be a Missionary for my church.  I was sent to the Amazon rain forest in Northern Brazil for 2 years to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to perform community service.  While I was there we were instructed to keep a journal.  I bought a large, hard bound, blank book and wrote in it virtually every day that I was away from home.  It was a great opportunity to express my feelings and record my observations as they happened.  Now I can look back at them any time I want.  When I read it now I am sometimes embarrassed at how young I was.  Mostly I can't believe all the things that I have forgotten in the 10+ years since I returned and am grateful that we were told to do it.  

Just as I once left my family and friends to go off to a strange and dangerous place to serve my Heavenly Father, I know go to leave them to serve my country.  Although not instructed to do so this time, I wanted to learn from my past experience and keep a journal of my thoughts, feelings and observations.  A lot has changed in the last 10 years however, and a blank book just doesn't seem sufficient anymore.  I decided that the best way to keep my war journal was to follow the example of countless soldiers who are serving in Iraq now and keep a blog.  The disadvantage is the loss of personal connection with the hand written word.  The advantages are many.  My hand writing and bad spelling wont have to be deciphered; The information is stored somewhere far away from the dangers of war safe in case the unthinkable were to happen; and finally, I can include pictures and video to add meaning and a personal touch to my words.  

I hope that anyone who stumbles across this finds it at least interesting.  If no one does, It will still be worth it.  After all, after 10 years I am the only one who has ever gotten my missionary journal out to read it and yet I wouldn't give it away for the world.

No comments: