Thursday, February 19, 2009

Internet in Iraq

Well, this is the first time that I have been able to log on to blogger to post anything in a long time.  The internet here is expensive and inconsistent at best.  For the past two weeks I have not been able to view most web pages and have barely been able to email.  For those of you who like to send me emails with lots of pictures, it makes things difficult and you might reconsider next time!  All that for $60 a month!  You think they would give us a break, but I guess it's hard to get the internet way out here.  A lot has happened and it is hard to do it all justice.  I am safe and doing ok.  I have started to settle in to the realities of life here and my mood has gotten better.  I have been able to go to church for the past three Sundays in a row and they even gave me a calling to be in charge of the music (when I am there of course).  I put my church contacts to good use already.  The base optometrist is our group leader.  He was just called a couple of weeks ago.  He is my age and is a nice guy.  I stepped on my glasses last week at the end of a mission, and had to see him about getting new ones.  I showed up after hours, but since he knew me he saw me anyway and got me my glasses the next day.  They have a lab right here (in Georgia I had to wait two weeks!).  It is good to know people sometimes!  Well, I am in the middle of another mission, so I need to get some rest, but if the network connection stays good I will try to fill in for all the lost time in the next couple of days.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Thank goodness for your optometrist! Isn't it awesome to know what a small LDS world it is?

Jenni said...

Glad to hear you are safe and that you got your glasses fixed.

Michael said...

Isn't it amazing just how unproductive and lost we can feel without an internet connection? And that small LDS world can get a lot smaller. I bet if you spent much time with him, you'd probably find out you're related somehow!

Sherry said...

So glad to hear things are going better and you have the chance to go to church. That spiritual uplift can sure make difficult times more bearable.

Hope you got/will get the valentines my students made for you. We love you back here in Texas!